Thursday, September 23, 2010

Could I Be Glorious?

Off the road and back in Charleston. On my trip home I purposed to keep quiet and listen. I can't stress enough how important a discipline this is for your spiritual development. No cell phone or radio, just the open road before me and time with my heavenly father. As I shared with you in a blog from the road, one of the focus points of my trip was to gain a greater sense in my heart of the Father's love for me. To know more deeply of my status as a beloved son. After an amazing 3 days of ministry opportunities that the Father brought my way it was great to get quiet and reflect. As I drove down I-40 toward Nashville I began to recall all the ways I saw God's hands all over my time in Memphis. A great sense of joy and favor came over me as I felt Him tell me how proud He was of me. That He was well pleased with me! The more I explored this idea, this is what I got- When we open ourselves up to the Spirits movings, and have a willing spirit, God will use our giftings for His glory and thus allowing our glory to come out. Jesus wants to live through our giftings. When this happens, living how we were intended to live- in the works we were created for, we are glorious! Reflecting whose image we were created in!

As you know, I went to Memphis to seek an audience with Tim's agent, Jimmy Sexton. This did not happen and from a human perspective the trip was a waste of time and money. Praise be to God that He has given me spiritual eyes!

Because, from where I stand in the Spirit, the trip was a smashing success! I went out of obedience, trusting God for His will to be done. On this wild journey I have learned to "go with the flow" and not set agendas for God. I could have been totally self absorbed with my agenda that I would have missed all the ministry opportunities that God brought my way. What an awesome privilege to be in the flow of God's work, being used of God to encourage those down the path of life. One of those people wrote the following in an email-

"It was a pleasure meeting you. We all need to stop and really take the time to listen to one another whether they be known to us or stranger to us. How intriguing your journey sounds!!! I, myself, am seeking out a purpose in life or rather God's purpose for me. Need to stop and listen to his directions at time

I admire your ability to talk to so many different people. I read some more of your blog and everywhere you go although you don't throw yourself upon people you take the opportunity to share with them when the occasion arises. Also, I noticed you seem to have to ability to put yourself in situations where you are very comfortable with strangers"

I believe I am experiencing more and more of what was intended for us. As Jesus perfectly lived out a relationship with the Father, abiding in perfect unity- the Fathers' will was done in and through Jesus' life. As a man walking on this earth, Jesus was glorious, I believe, due to His trusting and obeying.

In John 4 Jesus says 34-"My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work."

And in John 5- 19-Jesus gave them this answer: "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. 20-For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, to your amazement he will show him even greater things than these.

John 7- 16-Jesus answered, "My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me. 17-If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own. 18-He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him"

John 8- 54-Jesus replied, "If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 55-Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word. 56-Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad."

So, you see that Jesus was made glorious because He abided in the Father and did the works He was created to do. This is also true of us! When we walk with the Father and live out of trust and obedience, doing the works we were created for- we are glorious! His glory and image shine through our lives! As it was intended from the beginning!

This ties in with the quote I have mentioned over and over.

The Glory of God is man fully alive. St Irenaeus

When we are fully alive in Christ, IE: doing the works the Father has for us through a relationship of trust and obedience, His glory shines in and through us, thus reflecting the glory back to the Father.

Oh, what a wonderful mystery is this life in Christ! To be brought back from the dead to live as intended. How glorious!

I close with two quotes from the movie, Chariots of Fire.

Eric Liddell:

I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure

Eric Liddell:

You came to see a race today. To see someone win. It happened to be me. But I want you to do more than just watch a race. I want you to take part in it. I want to compare faith to running in a race. It's hard. It requires concentration of will, energy of soul. You experience elation when the winner breaks the tape - especially if you've got a bet on it. But how long does that last? You go home. Maybe you're dinner's burnt. Maybe you haven't got a job. So who am I to say, "Believe, have faith," in the face of life's realities? I would like to give you something more permanent, but I can only point the way. I have no formula for winning the race. Everyone runs in her own way, or his own way. And where does the power come from, to see the race to its end? From within. Jesus said, "Behold, the Kingdom of God is within you. If with all your hearts, you truly seek me, you shall ever surely find me." If you commit yourself to the love of Christ, then that is how you run a straight race

I believe Mr. Liddell understood what it meant to be glorious.....
I pray that you too will know this and live a life of glory as it was intended from the begining!

Blessings, Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment